Archive for July, 2012
Caster (or regular) sugar 300 grams or about 1 1/3 cups
4 large egg whites or 150 grams
1 teaspoon rosewater
30 grams minced pistachios (a handful, this is really up to you)
1. Preheat oven to about 400F degrees. Evenly spread the sugar on a parchment-lined baking tray and put in the oven for about 8 minutes or until the edges just begin to dissolve at the edges.
2.While the sugar is in the oven, whisk the egg whites in a standing mixer on high-speed until they begin to froth up add the pinch of salt.
3. With the mixer on medium speed, add the hot sugar carefully and slowly, then the rosewater. Turn to high-speed and mix for another 10 minutes or until cool.
4. Lower oven temperature to 225 F degrees and place finely chopped pistachio nuts on a plate.
5. Line a baking sheet (the one you just used for the sugar is fine) with parchment and dab just a tiny bit of the meringue batter under each of the four corners to secure it. With two gargantuan kitchen spoons mold a grapefruit-sized dollop of meringue, roll it onto your plate of pistachio nuts, and place on the parchment. Repeat, making room between meringues since they will expand and crack a bit as they cook. They should each look different and very free-formed.
6. Cook in preheated oven (225F) for about 2 hours, turning the front to back every half hour. The outside should be utterly dry, while the inside marshmallow soft. Cool and eat. Cover leftovers in an airtight container or plastic bag.